Welcome to the home of one salty man.
- Techstars is launching its first accelerator program in Asia in partnership with Rakuten December 13, 2017Techstars is bringing its global accelerator program to Asia for the first time in partnership with Japanese e-commerce giant Rakuten and its chat app Viber. The companies will run a three-month program in Singapore starting in July, according to a joint announcement made today. The focus will be on social messaging and, in particular, technologies […]Jon Russell
- Google opening a China-based research lab focused on artificial intelligence December 13, 2017Google has officially announced that it is opening an AI center in Beijing, China. The confirmation comes after months of speculation fueled by a major push to hire AI talent inside the country. Google’s search engine is blocked in China, but the company still has hundreds of staff in China which work on its international […]Jon Russell
- New York City moves to establish algorithm-monitoring task force December 13, 2017New York City may soon gain a task force dedicated to monitoring the fairness of algorithms used by municipal agencies. Formed from experts in automated systems and representatives of groups affected by those systems, it would be responsible for closely examining algorithms in use by the city and making recommendations on how to improve accountability […]Devin Coldewey
- Democrat defeats Moore in Alabama race December 13, 2017Doug Jones wins a Senate seat for Alabama after a bitter campaign against Trump-backed Roy Moore.
- Trumplomacy: Tillerson's New Year hopes for North Korea December 13, 2017The secretary of state appeared to soften his tone on North Korea at a Washington policy speech.
- Canada snubs Boeing in fighter jet deal with Australia December 12, 2017Canada had originally planned to buy 18 Boeing Super Hornets as a stopgap fleet.