- Bringing in the New Year
I would like to start this post off by wishing everyone a prosperous New Year, and that 2012 is a fantastic year for everyone who reads my blog, all those who don’t can sink a whole because the sun revolves around me.
In my preparation to write this post, I thought deeply about my New Years Resolutions, and the actual definition of the term.
According to dictionary.com there are more than 12 definitions of the world resolution, but I have picked the most pertinent to my blog post, in fact I think if you could create a single definition then it would encompass all of these:
2. a resolve or determination: to make a firm resolution to do something.
3. the act of resolving or determining upon an action or course of action, method, procedure, etc.
4. the mental state or quality of being resolved or resolute; firmness of purpose.
6. the resulting state.
8. a solution, accommodation, or settling of a problem, controversy, etc.
For purposes of this blog post; Resolution means the act of determining upon a course of action, built on a firmness of purpose to achieve a resulting state which solves a problem.
We make these Resolutions every year, and most of the time we forget about them before the New Year even gets out of the gate, by February you have given yourself a pass, and no longer do you have a “firmness of purpose”, if anything you are so far from your purpose that it’s easier just to give up.
I find myself not wanting to enter in a pact with myself which will ultimately result in disappointment or failure, yet I think in creating a better more thorough existence in my life I want to make the following resolutions, or perhaps I should say that they are my 2012 goals for myself.
- I will lose 70 lbs by the end of the year, or fit into a size 32 pant size.
- During Fight Gone Bad 7 I will break 300 (253 Sept)as my score.
- I will complete a 5k.
- I will complete a Wilderness or Mountaineering Course.
- I will break 900 in my Crossfit Total (775 in November)
- I will take at least 4 trips this year, which are unrelated to business.
- I will take at least a week off during the year.
- I will work on being more patient with others, and keeping my calm, even when they are dumb fucking idiots, are making me want to choke them to death.
- I will start writing once every couple of weeks the story of my parent’s immigration to the US.
- I will be more generous to people with my spirit.
- I will begin to have a 5 day work week.
- I will achieve a financial reserve of at least 3 months of operating income.
- I will hire a book keeper.
- I will hire better staff, and make the financial commitment in my people, including sending 3 people to Sonny’s Car Wash College, and provide at least 2 training seminars throughout the year open to all staff, so I don’t have to work as hard.
- I will delegate more to my staff, and give them the freedom to accomplish what I ask in their way.
- I will take at least two classes in a topic that are for my enjoyment like a basic knife skills class at Sur La Table.
- I will read 12 books this year.
- I will watch less TV, limiting my weekly viewing.
- I will make connections with people in other businesses to try and discover what it is that will give me purpose in life.
- I will work to un-clutter my life by either donating, or selling anything that I no longer use, or don’t foresee using.
I don’t think my resolutions or goals, are unattainable, I think 5 specific things in four areas of my life over the course of year is not a difficult task. It will not be easy, especially those matters which involve my business. I am going to have to learn to cope with my stress in other ways than numbing through workouts, food, or TV.
Let 2012 be the year I am the finally the man that I’ve always wanted to be, or at least a less angry version of who I am today.
I have one last major resolution, to Whip the Ever Living Crap out of Antwone Walters in the Paleo Challenge #bringitbitch2012